The thoughts behind the kolam

 A new dialogue evolved between my friend, Sudha and myself focusing on the daily kolam that we make in front of our houses. It led me to probe and think what was the idea behind each design; any set pattern; any preferences and the influences. I realised there was a lot of interesting beliefs about our capabilities, traditions and the things that pull our hands and fingers in a certain way. 

I found it interesting and a great exercise but, I realised I was taking quite a lot of time that affected my other routines. (Ah... once again, it was technology! -- needed to transfer my ideas and designs to some form of virtual space and that took time!!) Anyhow, I stopped sharing the designs on social media but we both exchange our kolam daily and the stories behind some of them!



During the course of the day, there would flash ideas to weave stories around the different kolam and noted some of them for a different activity. 

These designs I am sharing here, interestingly grew out of the photos shared by Neelima on FB. Her love for all life around makes her a wonderful and gifted nature photographer. She brought out a series of pictures showing different kinds of butterflies and a brief write up about them. And there are flowers in a riot of colours, leaves swinging and swaying in particular way like the various postures of a danseuse frozen and captured for eternity.


The pictures of common mormon, jezebel or the scarlet milkweed are visual treat (All her pictures are that!). Flashing the orange, black and white or the yellow, these lovely creatures flitted around me demanding attention. So, I let them flutter through my fingers on to the ground in my designs. ( Please, don't look for exact depiction! They led me to create my version, not exact image like a portrait! Creative license?!!)

As I was making the kolam, I experienced being there in the vast open wood that Neelima walks;  the cool morning breeze playing in and around the trees, the morning creatures coming out to greet the new day. This is a dedication to Neelima for she takes me to that lovely Ghats forest and letting me be just part of the environment.

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

Do you have any questions?

  प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , 'கேள்வி ,  ചോദ്യം (chodyam), 'Prashna' - ప్రశ్న, প্রশ্ন, प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ( Praśne ), પ્રશ્ન, سوا...