The long time colleagues...

 Bonding on a virtual platform

When I used to be part of the study of vedantic texts like 'Upadesa Saram', we were encouraged to probe the question, "Who am I?" and the way we answer. It was an exercise to chip away at all these 'worldly identities' to identify that 'self' (Atman). As I walked back home from the session, all deep आत्म  विचार tended to desert me!!

Well, anytime, I think of myself as this or that, I do remember these are not to be my identities. The deep probing starts; the entire conversation takes hardly a minute or two but still reminds me that the question remains! In and through all such inner dialogues, I can't help an attachment to certain identities.  The teacher identity , though thrust on me by circumstances, got glued to me to be 'me'! (Isn't it in sync with my basic belief and constant questioning to seek the ultimate 'Truth'?) 

So here I am, part of the teaching fraternity belonging to one great institution (DAV group of schools in Chennai), bonding with fellow teachers and and others in a virtual meet! 

Every year, we meet, we try to spend time together and reach out to the community in whatever way we can. In our annual get together, our beloved students join us and infuse us with youthful energy. 

Most of us would have spent seven decades on this planet (as an approximate average). That is just for the record! The wear and tear of the body just does not dull their brains. In the true spirit of a teacher, they always ask questions and learn.  I am one of those few who are juniors to these legends in the field.  I remember those early years in my service when I was awestruck by some of them. In school, there was certainly a hierarchy but a subtle one. When we all have come together to be part of the ex staff association, it has become one of friends and associates. 


This year, the meeting became a memorable one which touched me at deeper levels. Many of the teachers are living alone with their husbands/wives, away from their children. The covid restrictions have made their lonely life, hopeless and the  transient nature of our life, very real . For some of us, the loss of our good friends and colleagues is time to pause and take stock. Against all these, the members were eager to get together. 

Some from the group until now, had no need to befriend technology. But, the idea that we should connect started as a spark and with that typical efficiency of teachers organising an event, the plan took a shape. In the wonderful tradition of working in teams, a programme was scheduled. Ah... the important thing of initiating some of the seniors into the virtual world! That was taken care of by Mrs. Radhika Parthasarathy and Mrs. Lalitha Chandrasekar. They had a trial zoom session where members could get in and familiarise themselves. A clear instruction sheet with step by step process of accessing zoom was put out by Mrs. R.P. Prayer song was taken care of by our music teacher who invoked the blessings of Goddess Durga to remove the virus in 3 languages. 

Having online meeting enabled our friends from other cities like Bengaluru, Coimbatore, Hyderabad and Mumbai and from overseas to participate.  Looking at the happy expressions, the eager and curious minds ever prepared to learn and the readiness to follow the rules - I felt thrilled about the learning field!  The initial technical glitz was accepted with equanimity and each waited for their turn to greet and talk. Friends engaged in playful banter, members suggested ways of coming together - these interspersed with profound emotional moments too. It was a pulsating  lively meeting cutting through the cyberspace. 

I looked around, positive energy flowing from every one into me and I bowed to all of them.  

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

Do you have any questions?

  प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , 'கேள்வி ,  ചോദ്യം (chodyam), 'Prashna' - ప్రశ్న, প্রশ্ন, प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ( Praśne ), પ્રશ્ન, سوا...