My Music journal

As always, had been looking forward to this time of the year to soak in the music that becomes the identity of the city particularly in December. As it is again expected, there were some hitches, too disturbing my plans! All in the game, I guess!
My idea was to make something like a  journal entry as and when I get a chance to listen to an artist. I did record my impressions in the old fashioned way using ‘old faithful’ pen in a note book. The technically advanced means of communication takes its time!
3rd December:
My musical outings for December started with TM Krishna’s concert for the As always, had been looking forward to this time of the year to soak in the music that becomes the identity of the city particularly in December. As it is again expected, there were some hitches, too!
My idea was to make something like a  journal entry as and when I get a chance to listen to an artist. I did record my impressions in the old fashioned way using ‘old faithful’ pen in a note book. The technically advanced means of communication takes its time!
3rd December:
My musical outings for December started with TM Krishna’s concert for the Margazhi Maha utsavam and what a start it was!
When every other artist presents a well researched performance on a specific theme, our artist of the day desired freedom ‘without boundaries’ (I can hear comments like ‘Is it any surprise?’) ‘Maverick’, ‘non conformist’, ‘unconventional’ are some descriptions people use to refer to Krishna’s music.  Either an appreciative sigh or the other extreme of a derisive snort is the response to TMK.
Me? I am interested in the way he creates music and when he answered questions that day he said that his music/performance is his reaction to what music does to him.  And that day, I think, he had a free flowing communication with the ragas to give yet another memorable performance.
The divinity of the compositions of Shyama Shatri never fails to move me! Language becomes immaterial as the meaning, feelings of the poet comes through beautifully in the way the song is set to tunes. That too, if the song is taken by an artist who sincerely tries to reach the heart and soul of the composer, it is an uplifting experience. That was what I experienced with ‘Marivere’  that day. When he went on to linger on the phrase, ‘nammithi, nammithi’ and Meenakshyamma, I was standing before Meenakshyamma.
The soft gliding notes of Shankarabharanam, followed by the magnificent Thodi, pulling along the lilting , teasing tunes of Kalyani with the sonorous and formal Dharbar rounded up the arrangement of ragas for his pallavi,சங்கராபரணனை அழைத்தோடி வாடி கல்யாணி தர்பாருக்கு '. There was a sense of oneness for a brief period with the singer, song and listeners and that filled every cell and accompanied me through all my work for quite some time. If it is not good music, what is?    

1 கருத்து:

Unknown சொன்னது…

Hello Ma'am,

Enjoyed reading your blog on TM Krishna's concert and thrilled that you liked it so much. Reminds me of an article that TM Krishna had written when Sachin Tendulkar retired: http://www.thehindu.com/features/magazine/beyond-the-boundary/article5382910.ece Rare is the artist (or sportsman) who can move us so much. But, most of all, we will always remember and cherish the singular moment when we realize that something special is unfolding.

Regards,
Sriram (former student in Krishna Kumar, Chinmay et al batch)

Do you have any questions?

  प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , 'கேள்வி ,  ചോദ്യം (chodyam), 'Prashna' - ప్రశ్న, প্রশ্ন, प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ( Praśne ), પ્રશ્ન, سوا...