To Friends

Some places, some people light that something deep inside me that I want to jump with joy and break into a song (like our actors do!) This happened on the evening when colleagues/friends from the same school got together. I was on a high from the time I got invited as I feel happy to be remembered as a friend.
So I decided to meet them all briefly at least for I was to leave the same evening on a trip out of city. It was about some 20 years ago that we came together entering a new phase in our lives - taking up a career besides being young mothers of active, strong willed youngsters. Some of us in the group were veterans in the sense, they had been teachers for some years. Still, there was some magic or should I say chemistry working to bind us into a beautiful friendship. It was after a deep personal loss I donned this new role of a professional with trepidation and with a deep sense of sorrow. They welcomed me unconditionally and stood by me whenever I had a crisis(and that was plenty!)

The wonderful time we had is also due to the enterprising Principal who was ever ready to experiment and given us enough freedom to improvise and innovate. The picture will not be complete If I do not mention the efficiency of our vice principal who could sometimes be a terror (only, if you do not complete the work as per her expectation and that can be many?!) She was practical and her alert brain, My God! could challenge 10 computers at the same time! Despite my aversion to correction, if i could meet the deadline time and again at later stage, credit goes to her.
We made a great team which I have realised much later only. Surprising, is it not? I learnt to be patient with kids, to appreciate their out of the box imagination, to coax work out of them and had fun doing my work.
An important aspect of the growing friendship was the simple acceptance of the person with all the eccentricities and attitudes. They did point out certain undesirable aspects but never criticised the others. I had a brief time of 5 years only with them. But on and off I used to see some of them in marriages and other functions. But, this time, it was mainly to spend time together and what a revelation it was! I could not spend a leisurely time with them and did not get to meet one or two friends as they were late.

The warmth and the faces lighting up from within when seeing me simply overwhelmed me! The way they fondly recalled some of my quirky habits or showed pride in my achievements is what gives me hope and joy in living!

Saying 'Thank you' is inadequate to express my feelings to them. But I want to convey to all of them how I value their friendship. It is a humbling experience and I know the only way to repay such goodness is by spreading good will and cheers to whomever I can.
In some of the worst moments of my life, they were there waiting for me to emerge stronger and a better person. I can but take it as God's way of looking after me.
This is dedicated to you friends from JGVV. My salutations to you all.

3 கருத்துகள்:

RaMai சொன்னது…

good that you enjoyed your get-together with friends after 20 years...i know how it feels, i experienced it too with my school friends recently.

may be you should start organising such events yourself once in a while to get your batteries charged!!!

Vaidehi சொன்னது…

Prakash P says: I was one of the unfortunate, late ones, to have missed you. But, I'm sure there will be one more marriage, one more whatever, where we will have the opportunity to catch up. I look forward to it. But, then, you got to meet up with my better (?) half. I hope you enjoyed her company. I sometimes do! She is by my side now as I type this. She wants me to tell you that she would never, ever forget the Asiad Colony visits to your house, especially the "vathakozhumbu" that your mom used to make. I, for one, cannot forget your Dad. A very pleasant gentleman, indeed. Another thing Vaidhehi wants me to tell you is that she is unable to forget your role of Primary-in-Charge at the school. Vaidhehi is happy you enjoyed the meet. She is too! And, there is more.... But, then, all that will have to wait for us to meet in person. Till such time, let's continue living, happily, hopefully.

UmaS சொன்னது…

Its a lovely get-together and I feel happy for you. May you enjoy many more such feelings of togetherness with your friends.

Do you have any questions?

  प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , 'கேள்வி ,  ചോദ്യം (chodyam), 'Prashna' - ప్రశ్న, প্রশ্ন, प्रश्नः,  प्रश्न , ಪ್ರಶ್ನೆ( Praśne ), પ્રશ્ન, سوا...